The FSSAI requires anyone operating in the food business to register. An FSSAI registration is required if you work in the food processing, manufacturing, packaging, or distribution industries. The registration/license is issued by the Food Safety and Norms Authority of India (FSSAI), which is an organization that monitors food enterprises under the FSSAI Act 2006’s standards and regulations.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) registers industries and sectors that work in the food industry. A food safety certificate given by the Indian food authority is required for the creation of any new food product. This governing organization is also known as the Indian Food Safety and Standards Authority (FSSAI). It also indicates whether or not a company complies with the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006.
As previously stated, before commenting on any type of food sector business, it is mandatory to complete FSSAI Registration online. Every businessman in the food industry is required to have a unique license number that verifies the product’s quality and safety for consumption.
Through the issuing of food services licenses, the government ensures certain regulations on the quality of food goods, reducing the likelihood of adulteration, poor standardized products, and increasing manufacturers’ accountability.
Registration with the FSSAI has a number of advantages:
Apart from the fact that FSSAI registration is required for your food business, it also has a number of advantages:
- It builds client trust and credibility.
- The FSSAI logo is well-known, and as a result, it can help to build consumer trust.
- When the FSSAI is involved, hygiene and cleanliness are regulated and observed.
- Through studies that you have access to, you can design better work policies or improve them.
- You will be given new industry knowledge that will assist you in improving your safety standards and achieving worldwide organization standards.
- Exporting food items to other countries requires an FSSAI license.
- FSSAI is also in charge of establishing ISO17025. norms and processes for quality assurance of authorized labs.
Who Should Register with the FSSAI?
The FSSAI requires everyone in the food industry to register, from hawkers to home vendors to huge food franchises. Depending on their size and where they operate, companies must get one of the three types of registration/licences described below.
If your business comes into one of the following categories, you must obtain a food licence:
To put it another way, everybody who works with food substances from farm to plate must have an FSSAI food licence.
A food business operator (FBO) who operates their business without registering with the FSSAI faces up to five years in prison and a fine from the FSSAI of up to Rs. 5 lakh.
FSSAI Licence Types in India
According to the FSSAI Act of 2006, all food enterprises must be registered or licensed in one of three categories:
- Registration with the FSSAI
It is the most common type of food license awarded to enterprises with a small annual turnover – up to $12 lakhs.
Catering firms, regardless of revenue, must apply for a state license rather than a standard FSSAI registration.
- State License from the FSSAI
A state license is required for businesses with annual profits of more than ₹12 lakhs but less than ₹20 crores.
- Central Licence of the FSSAI
The central registration is for enterprises with a turnover of more than ₹20 crores per year.
Companies that offer food to government offices/departments, as well as firms that import/export food, must get a central licence.
Registration with the FSSAI necessitates the submission of a number of documents:
You must submit several documentation for registration depending on the kind of registration and the type of food business that you operate.
- A photograph is included with the identity proof.
- a photograph in passport size
State & Central Licence
- Address proof is required.
- Code for import and export
- a photo in passport size
- a list of the company’s directors or partners
- An incorporation certificate
- The business’s Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) and Statement of Objectives (AoA)
- A photograph is included in identity proof.
- The local municipality has issued a certificate of no objection.
Suggested Read- fssai license
Manufacturing units must also submit the following documents in addition to the ones listed above:
- The blueprint for a warehouse, facility, or other structure.
- A list of all equipment
- A water test report has been submitted.
- All food categories are listed below.