Magnesium is one of the richest minerals in the human body. A daily requirement of magnesium for the function and wholesome of the heart, muscles, and brain and for 300 chemical reactions and biological processes in the body. But, according to research, half of the population in the world is magnesium deficient.
The magnesium intake is 420 mg and 320 mg for men and women. However, the intake depends on the age, sex, and physiological state like lactating and pregnancy. It helps to maintain normal nerve function, improves the immune system and steady heartbeat, and helps bones to be strong. Magnesium aids in the production of protein and energy and helps maintain blood glucose levels.
Symptoms Of Magnesium Deficiency
The low intake of magnesium does not necessarily cause any symptoms. But the body tends to lose a certain amount of magnesium every day due to muscle movement, hormone production, and even heartbeat. People generally need just a little magnesium to replenish their magnesium levels to prevent a deficiency that invites further adverse consequences.
A person who is magnesium deficient can experience the following symptoms: fatigue, anorexia, nausea, tingling sensation, abnormal heartbeats, muscle cramps and contractions, and damage to nerve cells. Consumption of Magnesium Glycinate is easily absorbed by the body and can inherently increase magnesium levels in the body.
What Exactly Is Magnesium Glycinate?
Magnesium Glycinate is a magnesium supplement that boosts magnesium levels in people with magnesium deficiency. Magnesium Glycinate is the magnesium salt of glycine, containing 14.1 % of the elemental mass of magnesium. It is easily absorbed by the body and is one of the most excellent supplements for the stomach.
Unlike other magnesium supplements, Magnesium Glycinate does not have many side effects like loose motion or upset stomach. It can also be used by patients recovering from bariatric surgery or people who are at risk of lower magnesium levels. But kidney problems may cause difficulties in excreting extra magnesium. So, people with kidney complications must certainly consider consulting a doctor before consuming any supplements for magnesium glycinate Canada.
Benefits Of Magnesium Glycinate
Magnesium is an essential element that you should add to your diet, but unfortunately, only a few people get it in their diets. Magnesium Glycinate is a magnesium supplement used to treat people suffering from magnesium deficiency. The potential health benefits of Magnesium Glycinate are as follows:
- Cures Anxiety and Depression: Serotonin is a brain’s “feel good and happy” chemical. Decreased levels of magnesium may seem to reduce serotonin levels in the brain, which might be the leading cause of depression and anxiety. Magnesium with glycinate increases the serotonin level to cure depression, calm the mind, and relieve stress.
- Maintain blood pressure: Another healthy benefit of consuming magnesium glycinate is that it guards against abnormal heart rhythms and maintains a steady heartbeat in the human body. Magnesium supplements improve the health of the heart by decreasing blood pressure slightly.
- Keeping the bones healthy: Magnesium plays a vital role in keeping the bones healthy. People with higher magnesium levels are more likely to have higher bone mineral density. Magnesium glycinate takes care of the bones and reduces the risk of osteoporosis and bone fractures.
- Ease Menstrual cramps: Another Magnesium glycinate benefit is that it reduces menstrual cramps. The supplements of magnesium are highly beneficial for women as it tapers off premenstrual symptoms like mood swings, tender breasts, fatigue, depression, food craving, etc., and also eases pain during menstruation.
- Help with Migraine: People who experience mild headaches and migraines may suffer from low levels of magnesium. Supplements of magnesium glycinate may help reduce the frequency of migraines and headaches. It blocks the signals in the brain that lead to migraine with aura or causes a change in vision.
- Combats insomnia: Many people have insomnia or bad sleeping schedules, which may be due to an imbalance in magnesium levels. Magnesium glycinate for sleep brings down anxiety and stress levels which may be another reason for lack of sleep; it helps combat insomnia successfully.
- Decrease Severity of Asthma Attacks: Magnesium Glycinate probably reduces the severity of asthma by relaxing the airways and alveoli (present in the lungs), reducing inflammation of airways that block the airways. Magnesium glycinate relaxes the muscles by inhibiting chemicals that initiate spasms. It also increases the level of anti-inflammatory substances such as nitric acid.
- Pain Relief and Fatigue syndrome: Another study has found that magnesium glycinate plays a crucial role in acute pain relief. A dose of magnesium helps with pain management and is also proven to be effective in treating fatigue. Therefore, the general quality and flexibility of life are also enhanced.
Side Effects Of Magnesium Glycinate
Although magnesium is proven to have health benefits in adults, you must consult with your doctor before you start taking them. The discussion of magnesium glycinate vs. bis-glycinate suggests that high doses of magnesium glycinate can cause diarrhea, nausea, and abnormal cramping. People who take magnesium glycinate have complained of an upset stomach. A high dosage of these can cause allergic reactions in people; you may also experience swelling, itching, dizziness, and difficulty breathing.
Those with kidney or heart problems should consult with the doctor and report immediately if they encounter any wild symptoms. Other than that, Magnesium glycinate seems to have the fewest side effects, or there are no reports available about the adverse effect on health. So, it is safe to say that Magnesium glycinate is safe and a good choice for people with gastrointestinal problems or magnesium deficiency.
Magnesium Glycinate vs. Citrate
There has been an ongoing debate on magnesium glycinate vs. citrate for quite some time now. Magnesium citrate is another recommended supplement. Magnesium citrate is said to have a different laxative type of effect, but in many cases, it has proved to be beneficial since it is used to treat constipation. Magnesium citrate helps to treat improper bowel movements and constipation because of its ability to increase gut movement.
Glycinate is less likely to cause upset stomach or diarrhea than almost every other magnesium form. Many experts even choose glycinate to treat different issues associated with magnesium deficiency for its high absorbency rate. Many researchers have found and said that magnesium glycinate is the best form of magnesium for its absorbency and doesn’t have many side effects. It is also said that magnesium glycinate has a calming effect compared to magnesium citrate.
Magnesium citrate and magnesium glycinate are present in abundance. They are bioavailable and can be sourced more efficiently than any other magnesium form, such as magnesium oxide. Both are excellent options and can be taken as a supplement depending on the body’s needs. You should remember if they will correct the magnesium deficiency, help cure insomnia and relax bowel movements or increase gut mobility and support digestion.
All in all, magnesium glycinate is the best option when it comes to treating people with magnesium deficiency. You can consult with your doctor to get your recommended amount of magnesium glycinate to meet the daily requirement. Also, make sure to keep in mind its side effects and your physiological conditions. However, never make the mistake of self-medication with magnesium, and glycinate as the consequences can be very dire.