Studies show (and there is substantial evidence as well) that exposure to the ultraviolet rays of the sun can cause skin cancer. Only using certain protective measures is often not enough to save you from the damage. In conjunction with these remedies, if one can use a broad-brimmed hat, it can give you much of the desired sun protection for your head, face, ears, and neck.
Many people have to work under the sun for long hours. This continuous exposure to the UVR (ultraviolet radiation) from the sun can cause damage not only to your skin but also to your eyes and immune system. Thus, wearing a hat that can give you sufficient protection is, no doubt, an effective preventive measure to minimize the risks.
What kind of hats provides the best protection?
Wear a hat that will shield your head, face, ears, and neck from the direct sun. Some hat factors will tell you whether a hat is suited to safeguard you from the harsh sun rays.
The brim should be wide. The broader the brim, the more protection you can expect. But you do not need to always go for the floppy hats with massive brims. A hat with three inches of the brim is sufficient.
You can also opt for a hat that possesses an irregular-shaped brim. The sun’s beams do not only penetrate from above. They reflect off of all the surroundings. An irregular-shaped brim will be more effective at blocking the sun’s rays from reaching your face.
The hat material
Various materials are used to make a sun hat. The nature of these materials can determine the level of UV protection a hat will offer you.
Natural fabrics, such as cotton and hemp, will provide you with some level of protection. Usually, sun hats designed specially to guard you against UV rays are made using synthetic materials. Even, you will find hats now with tags displaying the UVF protection ratings. Straw is another such material used to make these sun hats. But if you are planning to buy a straw hat, opt for a densely woven hat as it will not allow any sun rays to penetrate within.
The color of a sun hat also has a role to play in determining the amount of protection it will provide. Darker hues absorb light, whereas lighter shades reflect it.
Best sun hats
Some of the best ladies sun hats are –
- Beach hat
- Floppy hat
- Bucket hat
- Straw hat
- Wide brim Panama hat
- Havana hat
- Hiking hat
- Oversized hat
- Capri sun hat
How to take care of your sun hats
To retain the effectiveness of a sun hat, you have to maintain it well. You should clean your hat as and when necessary, without damaging it. Here is the best way you can use to clean or remove stains from your sun hat. You will need –
- A soft-bristled toothbrush
- Mild detergent (if you do not have any, you can use clear dish soap)
- A container (preferably a bucket)
- 15 to 20 minutes of your time
Before going ahead with the procedure, do not forget to read the care instructions. But, in general, using a soft-bristled brush, water, and dish soap is safe. You need to dampen the surface first. Then start cleaning by brushing the crown and brim in a circular motion (counterclockwise). If you fear that the hat might get distorted, you may simply use a blow dryer and protective pillowcase to administer indirect heat. It would help in refreshing its contour. You can also stuff its crown with a towel to maintain its original form as it air-dries.
The following instructions are for hats made out of cotton, nylon, polyester, and microfiber. Before doing anything, remove any embellishments, hatbands, and ribbons.
- Start by submerging the hat in cool water with mild soap or detergent.
- Use an ordinary brush to remove any stains.
- If you want, you can use a washer. Use the hand wash setting in that case.
- Let them dry naturally. Stuffing items of clothing or towels will help the crown retain its shape.
- Clean any spots that remain.
If it’s a straw sun hat, then –
- You should not submerge it in water. The hat will lose shape if you do it.
- Brush off the accumulated dirt and dust.
- Take a soft-bristled brush and dab it in a solution of water and mild soap.
- Using a circular motion, remove the stain(s). Use a soft brush, or else it will loosen the weave.
- Air dry it! Leave some socks inside the crown to help it retain its shape.
- Keep something heavy (like a book) on the brims so that they do not curl in the drying process.
Sweat stains can be removed in the same manner. Only use a white damp cloth instead of a brush to get rid of the stains.
If you find your sun hat is damaged too much and is beyond your limit to clean, take it to a professional hat cleaner.