Individuals who exhibit signs such as abdominal pain, cramps, nausea, and weight loss must discuss their condition with a gastroenterologist in Lahore. The specialist will conduct relevant tests to detect the disease and its cause. It will allow the doctor to choose a suitable treatment plan for the patient’s smooth recovery.
Intestinal ischemia is a gastroenterological condition in which the lack of blood supply to the small intestines causes permanent damage to the organ. The individual experiencing the signs of intestinal ischemia must seek medical attention, as it is a life-threatening condition. People above sixty are at a higher risk of suffering from intestinal ischemia and related complications. People suffering from intestinal ischemia exhibit the following symptoms:
- The patient remains nauseous all day, which affects their overall functioning. It can affect the quality of sleep and lead to anxiety.
- The patient experiences frequent changes in bowel movement.
- The patient experiences constipation, which can lead to pain and discomfort.
- The patient suffering from intestinal ischemia suffers from sudden intense pain in the abdominal region.
- The patient can notice blood in the stool.
- The individual cannot eat food due to pain. The patient experiences unbearable pain while consuming food.
- The individual can notice sudden weight loss that can affect their physical health and appearance.
The causes that can lead an individual to suffer from intestinal ischemia are:
- The blockage of the blood supply can lead to acute intestinal ischemia. People with medical conditions and blood disorders are at a higher risk of suffering from intestinal ischemia.
- The narrowing of the arteries can limit the blood supply in the intestine, which can lead to chronic intestinal ischemia. People must maintain a healthy lifestyle to avoid narrowing down the arteries.
The preventive measures to avoid permanent damage to the small intestines include:
- Individuals who smoke and consume alcohol daily are at a higher risk of organ damage. Therefore, it is essential to maintain a healthy lifestyle to avoid intestinal ischemia.
- People must engage in physical exertion to regulate bodily functions. It lowers the risk of narrowing down arteries that can damage the small intestines.
- People with a prior medical condition, such as heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, and hypertension, must remain conscious regarding the bodily changes. It will help in early diagnosis that can help prevent permanent damage to the vital organs.
The complications that correlate with intestinal ischemia are:
- The individual is at a higher risk of suffering from arterial fibrillation. It can affect the functioning of the heart and lead to further complications.
- If the individual does not take treatment, the patient is at a higher risk of heart failure. It can become the reason for death.
- The lack of blood supply can lead to clotting. It can lead to blockage and pain. It can affect the functioning of the vital organs.
- The patient is at a higher risk of suffering from permanent kidney damage.
The tests that help diagnose individuals suffering from intestinal ischemia are:
- The doppler ultrasound is an imaging test that helps detect an abnormality in the blood flow in the vessels.
- The complete blood test helps assess the abnormality in the blood levels, which may be an indication of other physical illnesses.
- The CT scan helps detect the abnormality or mass in the abdomen.
- The magnetic resonance angiogram uses radio waves to obtain a detailed image of the blood vessels.
The medication and procedures that help treat a patient suffering from intestinal ischemia are:
- Use of Anticoagulants: The medication helps prevent blood clots that may worsen the condition.
- Angioplasty: It is a surgical procedure to open the blocked arteries and improve the blood supply.
- Mesenteric Artery Bypass: It is a surgical procedure that aims to provide an alternative route for the blocked artery to improve the blood supply.
People with intestinal ischemia must consult a gastroenterologist in Islamabad for guidance regarding the surgical procedures that will improve their physical health to reduce further complications.
Read More About : How To Get COVID-19 NIMS NADRA Vaccination Certificate in Pakistan?